Sunday, August 25, 2013

Slavery, Privileges and Music

I'll begin this entry by pointing out some vocabulary words that were new to me.

Feeble: (adj.) lacking strength
Obdurate: (adj.) Stubbornly refusing to change one's opinion or course of action.


Coarse: (adj.) Rough or loose in texture or grain.
Sloop: (noun) A small square-rigged sailing warship with two or three masts.


The first two chapters of Frederick Douglass's narrative pretty much introduce the context of the time in which he was living. We learn that it's around mid 1800's and that he was a slave, son of a white father and black mother. He described many traditions that occurred during the slavery times. For example, I didn't know that a slave mother was separated from his child before the baby had his first birthday. Or that children of slave women and white men had to follow their mother's condition, turning them into slaves. I just can't imagine how hard that must have been for everyone who had to go through that. It's almost unimaginable for me to place myself in that position. My mother and I are so close that I even feel lost whenever she leaves for two-week business trips. Sadly, Frederick Douglass just saw his mother a few times when he was just a kid and at night while she sneaked out from the plantation where she was working at.  

I found it very impressive that Douglass, who was a slave, could even be writing what he was writing. He said right at the beginning that white boys could read and write and that he shared that same privilege, unlike the other slaves who were just "stupid" due to their illiteracy.That sense of privilege is something I can relate to, especially here in Colombia. According to this article from El Tiempo, the high social stratum (5 & 6) in Bogota is just 4% of Bogota's total population. That just makes me privileged to be a part of that very reduced group of people, just like Frederick Douglass who was probably one of the very few or even the only slave who was capable of reading at that time. 

Another thing that impressed me was how music was so crucially important to slaves. When I'm asked to think of slaves, I never really relate the thought of slaves to music. I mean, yes they must have brought their African traditions and culture, but I basically think of them doing severe labor. However, Douglass describes how poignant music was to slaves in general especially to him. He even mentions how he teared up while writing about the songs they chanted. These songs were an allegation against slavery, as well as prayers to God so that he could have some mercy. It was through those songs that he realized how slavery was so repulsive and uncivil. I relate to that, to the fact of realizing something about our society through music. Some songs that really have influenced my way of thinking and realization are: "Society" by Pearl Jam, "Super Rich Kids" by Frank Ocean featuring Earl Sweatshirt, and "Where is the Love" by the Black Eyed Peas. I like the way music serves as a voice and as an escape, both for Frederick Douglass and for me.

Up to now, Frederick Douglass's narrative has been tender and compelling. His portrayal of slavery is very perceptible and clear. I'm enjoying it and I know it will get even better as I find out where his literacy skills will take him in life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment