Monday, October 28, 2013

Let Manipulation Do All the Work

On the weekend I read chapters seven through nine of Thank You For Arguing. These three chapters basically talked about logos, ethos, and pathos and how to properly implement them when arguing. Even though we learned about these Greek terms in class, I think I have an even better understanding of them now that I know how to very effectively use them in debates or arguments. 

 Chapter seven begins by introducing us to the term "practical wisdom". What that means is basically the ability to show the audience that you know how to solve a problem spontaneously, using common sense. Of course, decorum and virtue are vital in order to be successful at this. However, what makes practical wisdom so special is that it doesn't need you to show that you're smart or that you've had amazing grades at school or that you're enrolled in the honor society. People don't have to be book nerds or little Einsteins in order to have practical wisdom; Heinrichs even says that, "strict rule followers lack [practical wisdom]" (pg. 98). In order for people to trust you with a decision, there are three specific rules that exist. First, showing off your experience thrashes book learning. Second, bending traditional rules show your spontaneity. Third, taking the midway decision is better than extreme ones in order to keep you and your audience satisfied. All of these tips use both logos and ethos. 
Zeal: (noun) Great
energy or enthusiasm

 Then, in chapter eight, ethos and pathos are employed in the techniques that are introduced. When an audience believes that you seem to cope unwillingly with something you are dying to prove, they'll be more easily convinced. Additionally, when it seems like the choice you're making is a personal sacrifice, it becomes more credible. I always use that technique (unconsciously). There used to be many times were I used the personal sacrifice idea in order to convince my parents to let me go to parties. It always went something like this: 

 PARENTS: Are you doing anything tonight? 
ME: Nah, I don’t think so. All my friends are going to this party, but I didn’t even want to try and ask for permission. I'll rather stay in and do some homework. 
PARENTS: What? Why don't you ask us for permission? 
ME: Because it's obvious that you guys won’t let me go. 
PARENTS: How do you know? 
ME: I just know. I don’t wanna fight with you. Plus I have a bunch of work to do, so don’t worry. 
PARENTS: Why would we fight? Of course you can go, don't assume anything from us. 

Effectively, they'd let me go. 


Besotted: (adj) strongly infatuated
(it could also mean drunk or intoxicated)
 Chapter nine talked about the audience's mood and how to use pathos in order to persuade. Long story short, using experience and what the audience expects from you, can ignite belief. If you tell a story, specifically in first person, it'll give the audience a virtual experience. A key element is volume control: starting with a low voice, increasing it as you go, and ending with loud remarks will grab your audience's attention. Keeping it simple but sneaking up on their mood, will hook your audience completely. Anger and patriotism are also key if you're trying to make your audience believe you above a rival. 

 In three chapters, I learned so many things. I am definitely taking all of the suggestions so that I can use them whenever I desire. It takes time to really encrypt them in my brain and natural behavior. I know that by the end of this book I'll be able to manipulate everyone I want through the use of rhetoric. I'll just wait patiently and let the manipulation sink in. Then I'll just let it do all the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment