Sunday, February 9, 2014

A New Graphic Novel

Now that I'm done with Gonzo: A Graphic Biography of Hunter S. Thompson, I began reading Palestine by Joe Sacco. At first, when deciding on what graphic novel to read, I glanced through this book and there was something that stood out. It stood out in a negative way, actually. I'm talking about how visually detailed the art is in this book. I saw pages of crowded and crowded drawings, too many lines and shades, and the shapes of the text boxes were also set up in a very disorganized way. I guess I might have a bit of OCD, but I know for sure that I like things more the minimalist way. I know it as a fact, since I'm taking AP 2D Design, that I work better with minimalist designs. I've proved it to myself that my art works have a better final outcome if I keep it simple. So I just kind of started reading it, trying to ignore the visual overload and it has taken me some time to get used to it. At least for the first 50 pages I've felt that it is too much visual saturation. Here's an example of the type of art that the author uses in this graphic novel:



Another thing that I found in this graphic novel, was the style of portraying thoughts and spoken words. I hadn't seen this before. Sacco utilizes the bubble shape text boxes to represent the words that the characters speak. When the character thinks, he uses a rectangular shape for text. The picture above (at the right) is an example of the way he alters those bubble shaped and rectangular text boxes. 

Additionally, I found something that I remembered from way back when we read Thank You For Arguing. I found a chiasmus that said, "a land without a people for a people without a land!" (pg. 12). This just proves the fact that rhetoric is implemented in pretty much everything we read, hear and see. I was quite impressed that I remembered the term chiasmus, for my memory is pretty bad. 

Here's a vocab word I found: 

Affidavits: (noun) a written statement confirmed by oath for use as evidence in court. 



No comments:

Post a Comment