Thursday, March 6, 2014

You Guys Are Commas That Important Anyway Like Seriously?

I find it very sad the way commas are being ignored today. This article from Slate depicts the unfortunate reality that encompasses our world. Twitter and other social networks have been feeding this new rejection of commas. I believe its main cause is the way our generation (the millennials) and even older people who inhabit the social network realm have become lazy. 

Extreme laziness is what leads to the purge of comma use. I attach a screenshot of some example tweets that talk about this problem. I honestly think that writing without commas looks ridiculous, and it's kind of absurd how people will ignore something as simple as a comma. It just makes this users seem very lazy, although it's not their fault completely, it's just the way in which language and writing has evolved. 

It's not only laziness that has been causing this phenomenon, but as Anne Curzan said, it's also because we are now writing more in the same way we speak: "the decreasing use of commas...may be tied to efforts at making communications more stylistically fun and more similar too spoken conversation." This means we're not only skipping commas, but ignoring capitalization and committing other grammatical errors. It's quite funny because we also now suppose that certain grammatical tools are used to emote certain emotions. As Malady mentioned, the period (".") is now used as an emoter of anger, or seriousness. I completely understand this, for I always use periods only when I'm mad or distant.  

However, I definitely haven't banned commas from my texting habits yet. I honestly don't think I will, even though it makes me sound more formal whenever I text or tweet. I don't care, I can't be at peace knowing I'm writing run on sentences in small daily conversations. As Coco Chanel believed, "it's always better to be overdressed than underdressed." I mean, one could say it works the same way here. And although some say it makes life easier to simply write as you would converse, I think it's more important to conserve something as basic and necessary as a comma. Without it, writers can come off as childish, uneducated, or ignorant. 

FYI, I'm still suffering a little with the title of this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment