Monday, November 25, 2013

Home to the Fat

Oh, America! Traveling to the United States can really be surprising. Since the very second I set foot on the "land of the free", the smell of fatty foods always penetrates my innocent nostrils. My eyes wander around and the people I see are clearly different from what I'm used to seeing in Colombia. It's astounding: 60% of Americans are overweight. It's becoming an epidemic that is only leading everyone towards obesity. Greg Critser was once fat. In his book, Fat Land, he analyses "how Americans became the fattest people in the world" (cover page). 


Truculent (adj.) eager or quick to
argue or fight; aggressively defiant
 I started reading this book because I have always been interested in nutritional behaviors, especially how they vary in the US and Colombia. Recently, I have been talking about the subject with my mother, since I'll be moving to the US next year for college. It has been one of my concerns. Having to deal with a completely different food scheme brings a mayor concern to my head. Will I gain weight? Many people say that in freshmen year you gain 15 pounds. However, I have wondered if there is a way to escape those freshmen 15. 


Gurney (noun) a wheeled stretcher used
for transporting hospital patients 
 Coincidentally, Critser can be the answer to my major doubt. His story seems very interesting to me, for he used to be overweight. One day, he witnessed the quasi-death of an obese man when Craig went to the hospital to visit a relative. The young, obese man was on a gurney and his mother cried while he gasped for air. Shocked, Critser thought to himself, "there but for the grace of God go I" (pg. 6). That's when he realized that he had to make a change in his life and take the healthy path. 


Peripatetic (adj.) traveling from
place to place, esp. working or
based in various places
for relatively short periods 
 I've only read the first 30 pages of the book, and it has been extremely engaging. Even the first two chapters of the book have been interesting, and they talk about the historical and economical aspects of fatty foods in America. It's actually fun because many concepts explained, I've already learned in AP Macro and Microeconomics. For example, when Critser starts talking about the Japanese scientists who discovered fructose as a cheap way to sweeten food, he begins to analyze al of the economic implications (which I felt proud for understanding). Basically, fructose leads to the creation of corn syrup – artificial sweetener and preservative. Since it was cheaper than sugar, per unit production costs decreased, which increased the profit of American corporations such as Pepsi, Coca Cola, and McDonalds. He then mentions a price ceiling that Nixon puts on the price of meat (a maximum minimum price for a product under the equilibrium quantity). Then, he talked about the invention of "largesizing" portions in order to get more profit, and proved that "supersizing" was a new kind of marketing power. All of these things catched my attention. 

 While reading this book, I remembered the documentary Supersize Me and also Food Inc. I just can't wait to find out how Critser managed to lose so much weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment