Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Those Dark PE Times

While I read Fat Land, I was actually laid back and "chilling" with my book in hand. However, I got to this part that got me all uncomfortable. I sat up straight and even laid down my book for some time while these terrible flashbacks came up to my head. 

Cadre: (noun) a small group of
people especially trained for a
purpose or profession.
Yes, I was one of those girls who DREADED the famous "Fitnessgram" test here at CNG. The test consisted of running laps as the speed increased, doing a certain amount of push ups, burning fat in your abdomen by doing sit ups, and the only easy part for me which was stretching for the flexibility test. I just couldn't be successful at it, especially when it came to the "pacer", or laps. Teachers had to beg me to run the pacer, for I just simply refused every time I had to do it. I always preferred to get a 0 on it than to actually embarrass myself in front of everyone by running slowly. I remembered of all of these things because as I was reading the book, the author mentions the creation of fitness tests around the nation. The American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (AAHPERD) was responsible for throwing these tests into American schools. As time passed, a new test replaced the older one, until we got to and stayed in the "Fitnessgram". 

I am incredibly blessed for not having to take that test again. It just seemed so unfair to me because the athletic kids would make you look like an idiot. My ethos was completely hurt by it. I do understand that these tests had to be implemented in schools, simply because American kids were getting fatter and fatter and by 1975, "about 50 percent of [girls] could not run a mile in less than 10 minutes" (pg. 78). There is proof that these tests do make a difference in american children, but still, I just hated them. 

I guess I shouldn't even whine about it. Those days are over, and now it's my responsibility to get some exercise. I need to try and stay far away from the fat land. 

No comments:

Post a Comment