Thursday, January 9, 2014

Biography Time

The new book I chose is a biography. I read an autobiography earlier in the year, but I want to read a biography now. I think that with this book I am challenging myself much more than usual because of two main reasons. First, this isn't humorous like Tina Fey's autobiography. Second, it's content is huuuge. The books I've read this year have all been short or medium-length. However, this one is approximately 800 pages long on my iPad. And actually there's another reason. The person that the biography is about is not someone I know. I haven't even heard of him. This, however, makes it more interesting for me to read. The biography is  A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar, which talks about John Nash Jr., a mathematical genius who suffered from schizophrenia and won a Nobel Prize. 

Having already read 6.65% of the book (54/811), I can assure you that it's something very different to what I've already read. I already identified the tone and can describe it with different tone words: academic, confident, and objective. Simply look at the word choice that the author utilizes:
- respectability
- pious
- pragmatism
- economize
- schizoid
Precincts: (noun) A district of a city
or town as defined for police
purposes.

While It has all been very introductory until now, the author mainly has talked about John Nash's family and details from his infancy. His mom was very smart, for she managed large enterprises. His dad was an engineer and then enlisted in the army for World War I. Something that the author emphasizes a lot is the way that JN Jr. was not seen as a smart kid when in reality he even skipped grade levels due to his mental ability: "At school, Johnny's immaturity and social awkwardness were initially more apparent than any special intellectual gifts" (pg. 51). I just can't wait to get to the part when he begins to shock people with his intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment