Monday, January 13, 2014

We All Are Ignoramus to Nash

Mull (verb) think about deeply and at length
I am actually LOVING John Nash Jr.'s biography. I just think it is so interesting how he thinks and how he interacts around not-so-relatively stupid people. I mean I think it's so cool that he randomly just told people who didn't reach his superior levels of intelligence that they were stupid. He literally "showed that contempt for all of us: 'You're an ignoramus" (pg. 72). The fact that he could stand up for himself (relatively, only sometimes) with this type of remarks is awesome. Bullies can really make children's lives miserable but he wouldn't let himself bring down. I admire that a lot, especially considering the fact that he had a lot of trouble with social skills. Even people with good social skills can't stand up for themselves now days. It definitely can be an inspiration for people with low self esteem.

Additional to his good self esteem, Nash actually was attracted to other boys. When he discovered that, " he spoke and acted in ways that seemed natural to him only to find himself exposed to his peers' contempt" (pg. 71). However, that wouldn't bring him down. He still acted the way he acted and wasn't going to change just because some ignorant kids would tease him. His classmates would make a lot of pranks on him, but he knew how to give those dumb boys a taste of their own medicine. He also made a lot of pranks on people, accepted he "enjoyed torturing animals" and sometimes involved chemistry in his pranks. Specifically one time, he was involved in a "small explosion in the high school chemistry lab [that] landed him in the principal's office" (pg. 61). 

Smelter (noun) an installation or factory for smelting
a metal from its ore. 
Later on, when the author starts to talk about college, I got to this sentence that brought me hope; I saw the light at the end of the tunnel. It said, "College is a time when many ugly ducklings discover that they are swans, not just intellectually but socially" (pg. 69). Literally what I wrote in my iPad note was: "Praise the lord." I just got so excited after reading that sentence simply because I am bored with school. I don't want to be forced to learn things that simply aren't meant for me. I want to graduate already and go to college. I want to be able to learn about subjects that I'm interested in, meet people that don't care about drama like everyone does in high school, and live in a more mature environment. Lucky me because the following sentence was, "most of the boys in Welch Hall - precocious, but immature - found common interests, kindred spirits, and a measure of acceptance painfully lacking in high school" (pg. 69). It's like Sylvia Nasar knew what I was thinking at that moment. Thanks for that Sylvia, you brightened my day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment