Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Learning How to Cheat Intellectualism

So for winter break I chose to read the book How to Talk About Books You Haven't Read by Pierre Bayard. It's a very short one, only 170 pages on the iPad, which was perfect for me to read while on vacation. After reading Fat Land on paper and then this book on my tablet, I confirmed that I do prefer to read books on my iPad. It's just so much easier to take notes and then go back to find them. Plus it's very easy to just enter a key word or key phrase to find whatever you're looking for. Simply facilitates the process of blogging about books.

Ok, so now the book.  I wanted to read this book because of three main reasons. First of all, this friend who read it told me it was good. Secondly, I found out that it was humorous and confirmed it when I read the back cover of the book. And finally, I began reading the first pages and while doing so found out the author's purpose resulted quite appealing to me: "This advice is intended to help anyone who encounters one of these social dilemmas to resolve it as well as possible, and even to benefit from the situation, while also permitting him or her to reflect deeply on the act of reading" (pg. 13). He was referring to social dilemmas which involved you in discussions of famous books you haven't read.

On a scale from 1 to 10 I'd have to say that to me, How to Talk About Books You Haven't Read is a 5. Why? Well,for starters I was expecting the book to be funnier, due to things I heard from a friend who had read the book already. I also expected the book to be more engaging, but after having to "click" the hyperlink of every footnote on each page, it made my reading very long and kind of boring. The hyperlinks took me to another page were the author would make a reference to a specific book and say wether he had skimmed it (SB), heard about it (HB), thought unknown (UB) or forgotten about it (FB). Additionally, I don't think I can successfully talk about books I haven't read. I feel that maybe I didn't quite connect with the book.

The author divides the book in three parts: Ways of Not Reading, Literary Confrontations and Ways of Behaving. I like the organization of his ideas because he first tells you how you can avoid reading, in what types of situations you may find yourself, and how to deal with them. Overall, it's just ironic that his objective and what he actually "preaches" is non-reading, which we the readers aren't doing while reading his book. Even more ironic is the fact that he is a university professor who needs to talk about a wide variety of books: "Because I teach literature at the university level, there is, in fact, no way to avoid commenting on books that most of the time I haven’t even opened” (pg. 10).

Even though his main point is to say that non-reading is actually better than reading, I still feel that reading is best. The satisfaction I get from reading hard books or classics is very big and even more when I get to discuss them or make smart references about them.

Here are some vocab words that were new to me:

Extol : (verb) to praise enthusiastically



                        

        Soliloquy: (noun) the act of speaking   one's thoughts aloud when by oneself           or regardless of any hearers esp. in a play


No comments:

Post a Comment